* The Herington Public Library encourages public use of the basement, creating a place where people may gather to learn and participate in community activities.
* The basement is available at no charge to individuals that are in good standing, engaged in educational, civic, cultural and charitable activities. All meeting must be free of charge and open to library staff representation.
* The basement may not be used for commercial purposes or fund-raising activities. Individuals or groups may not sell products or services, collect or solicit money for any purpose other than recovering food costs associated with the meeting when applicable.
* Events of a strictly social nature, such as receptions and parties are not permitted.
* Customers agree to supply the library with a person’s name and phone number that can be provided to the public to answer questions regarding meeting content.
* Herington Public Library activities and services take precedence over scheduling of the basement for other groups. Items related to library sponsored programs and activities may be sold. Fundraising activities for the library by Herington Library Association, the Herington Library Foundation or library cosponsored programs is allowed.
* Public use of the basement may not interfere with the library’s operation. Library policies regarding customer behavior apply to the basement use. Children must have adequate adult supervision.
* The Herington Public Library is not liable for injuries to individuals or for damages to or the loss of personal property of individuals or groups using the basement.
* Any damage, loss, theft or misuse of library equipment or facilities is the responsibility of the group or individual using the basement.
* Failure to abide by any of these regulations or to cooperate with the staff of the library will result in loss of the basement privileges.
* The director or designee has full authority to decide any procedural exceptions to this policy and to establish the procedures and fees necessary to implement it.
* Public use of the library’s basement does not imply library approval or endorsement of the group, the meeting or the ideas presented at the meeting. Publicity for a meeting held at the library must not be worded in a manner that would imply library sponsorship or endorsement of a group, the meeting, or the ideas presented at the meeting.
* Customers must read and accept the HPL basement room policy before requesting the use of the basement.
* Anyone requesting use of the basement must fill out an Application for use of Herington Public Library Meeting Room (See forms section F III.)
* If a meeting, program, or class is cancelled, the group’s contact person or coordinator should notify library staff in advance in person or by phone. Failure to notify the library of a cancellation may result in the denial of future use of the basement.
* When the library closes because of a facility or weather related emergency, all efforts will be made to notify the contact person of groups scheduled to use the basement.
Basement Set Up and Clean Up:
* Set up and special arrangement of chairs and tables are the responsibility of the customer.
* Nothing may be taped or affixed to any part of the room. Event coordinators are responsible for protective coverage of library carpet and furniture if craft items such as glue, paint, ink, etc. will be used.
* Groups and individuals are responsible for leaving basement in good order after use.
* Special cleaning requirements or damage caused to library property or equipment will be charged to the group or person using the basement.
* All supplies for refreshments must be supplied by customers. Alcoholic beverages may not be served in the library.
Safety and Security:
* Egress routes may not be obstructed in any way and exit signs must remain clearly visible.
* Storage is not available. The library is not responsible for items lost or stolen.
* No flame producing or hazardous devices may be used in the library.
* The Herington Public Library is not liable for injuries to individuals or for damages to or loss of personal property of individuals or groups using the basement.
~ Adopted on 4-8-14, (Shelly Wirtz, Director)
~ Revised on 6-16-2017, 7-9-2019 (Shelly Wirtz, Director)