* The Herington Public Library accepts donations of new or used books, DVDs, audio books, and music CDs, equipment, etc., as outlined below:
* Donations are accepted with the understanding that the Library retains unconditional ownership and makes the final decision on the materials’ acceptance, use, or disposition.
* Donations will be added to the collection if they meet the same criteria required of purchased materials. Library staff will make the final decisions on placement of donated materials following an established procedure. No final decision can be made at the time of the donation.
* Donated items that do not meet established criteria for placement in the collection will not be returned to the donor but may be sold, given to another library or organization, sold online, disposed of as trash, or recycled.
* Library Staff has the right to refuse or retain any donated materials.
* Materials must be in good, useable condition. Books that may be unacceptable and will be disposed of immediately are those that are water damaged, contain mildew or mold, are severely worn, yellowed, and musty, are handwritten, contain highlighting or other markings, strong smoke smell, or have no sale potential.
* Materials that will not be accepted, include, but may not be limited to:
Series or sets of books (older than 10 years, such as, but not limited to, Reader’s Digest publications, Time-Life, Child craft, etc.)
Damaged DVDs, music CDs, audio books, etc.
* Donations must be delivered to the Library in boxes or bags that can be easily lifted and carried.
* Library Staff is unable to appraise donations for tax purposes by authority of Internal Revenue Service publication #561 which states that an excluded qualified appraiser is “the donor of the property”.
* A receipt acknowledging the number and format of the donated materials received can be provided upon request. (See forms sections F I.)
* A donor’s name will be added to a plaque for materials donated which when added to the collection are valued at 100 dollars or more.
* If a monetary donation is of $100 or more the donor’s name will be added to a plaque.
~ Adopted on 4-8-14, (Shelly Wirtz, Director)
~ Reviewed on 4-11-2017 (Shelly Wirtz, Director)
~ Reviewed and updated on 4-9-2019 (Shelly Wirtz, Director)